"Yoga helps me check in
and calm myself down. It also helps me when I am really tired because it helps to make me more aware,
but relaxed at the same time." ~Flora, grade 8
Plant A Seed and Watch It Grow...
Understanding Science, Self, and Sustainability in Schools
Yoga Farm, LLC , is an educational organization located in Burlington, Vermont. Yoga Farm “yokes” or facilitates understanding of science, self, and sustainability through rich curriculum, teacher workshops, and student classes. Yoga Farm (YF) achieves this by providing focused yoga instruction in conjunction with place-based science education (PBE), and professional development.
YF offers an educational paradigm that uses an individual's prior knowledge, their immediate environment, and the community they live in as a model for learning. This takes advantage of innate knowledge, local phenomena, and community resources, which serve as a concrete context for authentic, meaningful learning. This synergistic approach mutually supports teacher and student engagement in sustainable practices, through self-discovery, academic success, health awareness, community relatoinships, and environmental understanding.
Yoga Farm is committed to nurturing sustainable movement in and out of the classroom. YF defines sustainable movement as action that an individual, group, or community takes toward facilitating wellness, understanding, and vitality. Yoga Farm is not a “farm” or “place” yet, but hopefully will be some day. At this point, the “farm” serves as a metaphor for planting seeds, nurturing growth, encouraging environmental sustainability, and pursuing healthy lifestyles.
Creating Space & Balance in School
- Connect students to their environment through yoga.
- Integrate principles of yoga with naturalist skills and academic instruction.
- Create a holistic, constructivist, and project-based educational framework.
- Support your local community through place-based learning endeavors.
- Facilitate self-discovery and connection in your students.
- Manage academic, social, and personal stress.
- Build confidence, trust, and collaboration skills among students.
- Kinesthetically engage students in their learning.
- Engage in professional development and personal self-care.
Continuing Education Credits for Teachers!
Bring Yoga Farm to your school. Contact Jenn to learn more...